Marsh Family History
with notes on the Patterson, Potter, Finch, and Fowler Families
The Marsh family that we are related to can be traced to Alexander Marsh, who was born in England around 1628. He came to America in 1654, settling in Braintree, Massachusetts (near Quincy). Alexander married Mary Belcher on December 19, 1655. They had nine children, six of whom are listed in "The History of Braintree, Mass." The nine included Mary (b. 1658), Elizabeth (1660-1662), Hannah (b. 1662) Katherine (b. 1664), Mercy (b. 1669), Nathaniel (b. 1672), Rachel (b. 1673), and John (b. 1678), with one unnamed child. Alexander held the title of Lieutenant in some military organization, but which one is unknown.
In 1674-5 Alexander and his wife's father, Gregory Belcher, purchased a defunct iron works in Braintree. This iron works, or one close nearby was the first to operate in America. No records indicate that they ever made the iron works into a successful business. The property is listed in Alexander's estate, worth 430 pounds. Alexander served as a town "selectman" during the 1690's, helping to govern the affairs of the town. He also assisted in affairs of the church.
Alexander died on March 7, 1698, and his wife Mary died June 7, 1706. Some articles of interest in Alexander's estate include a musket and 3 swords, 4 oxen, 3 steers, 8 cows, 50 sheep, 13 swine, a house and land in Boston, and various household items. The total worth was listed as 1290 pounds (Old Braintree and Quincy, Massachusetts by Pattee, 1878, p. 567.)
Alexander and Mary's last child, John, married Sarah Wilson in 1701. They had seven children, all listed in "The History of Braintree, Mass." These include John Jr. (b. 1702), Sarah (b. 1704), Alexander (b. 1705), Wilson (b. 1711), Moses (b. 1714), Samuel (b. 1717), and Edmund (b. 1720).
John and Sarah's son Wilson married a woman named Abigail. They had at least three children including Wilson Jr. (b. 1750), Jonathan (b. 1753), and Abigail (b. 1756). Wilson Marsh Jr. was among the pioneers of the manufacturing of lace for the trimming of carriages in New England. It started with a few hand looms in his house. His two sons Elisha and Jonathan joined the business and it became known as Wilson Marsh & Sons. They also ran a dye house in conjunction with lace making. After the death of Wilson in 1828, the business became E. & J. Marsh. By 1836 seven males and sixteen females were employed. Eventually looms powered by water or steam power drove the hard weaving methods and them out of business. They converted the lace factory to boot manufacturing, and continued at that for some time.
John and Sarah's son Moses married Sarah Crosby on September 6, 1739. They had seven children, including Mary (b. 1740), Sarah (b. 1741), a fifth child Moses Jr. (b. 1744), and Rachel (b. 1746).
Moses Jr. married Jerusha Owen (b. 1747) , daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Owen, in Braintree, Mass on April 19, 1764. They moved to Chesterfield, New Hampshire, and then Rockingham, Vermont in 1779. They bought lots 11, 12, and 13 of the 4th range. He was probably the Moses Marsh who joined Lt. James Robertson's Co. of Col. Ashley's Reg. of Chesterfield, May 1777 to go to Ft. Ticonderoga (History of the Town of Rockingham, Vermont 1907-1957 with Family Genealogies, 1958, p. 462).
Rockingham is a small village in the Southeast corner of the state, south of Springfield and North of Bellows Falls. Moses Jr. served as town Constable in 1784. He owned the first pew on the west side of center aisle leading to the pulpit in the Old Meeting House in Rockingham, Vermont. Today one of the pews has a brass plate on it for the Marsh Family, put there by desecendants.
The Rockingham Meetinghouse was built in 1787 and is said to be one of the finest examples of the old town meetinghouse in New England. Early on it was used as the First Congregational Church of Christ of Rockingham and was known as the Old North Meetinghouse. The building eventually fell into dis-repair and the interior was largely gutted. Extensive restoration in the early 1900's and continued maintenance have retained it's original beauty.
Moses Jr. and Jerusha had thirteen children, including Jerusha, Moses Jr. (III), Sally, Joseph, James, John, Betsy, Daniel, Polly, Samuel, Phoebe, Lafayette, and Thomas (History of the Town of Rockingham, Vermont 1907-1957 with Family Genealogies, 1958, p. 462-463). Moses Jr. is not buried in the beautiful old cemetery behind the meeting house. Moses Jr. lived on Parker Hill in Rockingham. He joined the Universalist Church in 1791 along with Joseph and John Marsh (History of the Town of Rockingham by Hayes, 1907). It is likely that Moses Jr. is buried on Parker Hill in the Universalist Society cemetery, although there is no marked stone.
Son Moses III had a son Lewis (b. 1791). Lewis married a woman named Cynthia (b. 1796), and moved to McLean, N.Y. Lewis and Cynthia had four children including Charles (b. 1818), Emily (b. 1819) who became the second wife of Chauncey Crittenden, Henry B. 1820, and Mary Ann, who died at less than one year old. The story of Daniel Marsh is covered next.
The Daniel and Martha Bailey Marsh Family
Daniel was born June 21, 1779, and married Martha Bailey Marsh (1791-1875) in Whitehall, (Vermont or N.Y.) on November 26, 1808/09. Martha was born in Windom County, Vermont. Her family had moved to Vermont from Rowley, Massachusetts. Daniel and Martha had four children in Vermont including Moses Parker (b. 1810), Mary B. (b. 1812), Daniel B. (b. 1814), and Calista (b. 1814). In 1818 the family moved to Groton City, N.Y., East of Ithaca in Tompkins County. In July of 1818 they bought 10 acres for $165. In 1820 they moved a short distance to McLean. In December of 1822 they purchased 42 acres for $300.
McLean village was originally named Moscow, but in 1824 a post office was established and named in honor of Judge McLean. In "The Old Elm Tree: McLean, New York 1796-1976 Through the Years," it is stated: "Sometime after 1824 a stagecoach brought the mail from Cortland. A great crowd gathered at Marsh's store to hear Dr. Marsh read the newspaper that was delivered to him by stage." Exactly what kind of doctor Daniel was is unknown, but the History of Tompkins County lists Daniel Marsh as a distiller.
Daniel and Martha continued to expand their family in New York State. The new children included Eliza B. (b. 1818), Lucretia (b. 1821), Octavia (b. 1823), Hiram B. (b. 1825), and John Owen (b. 1829). Fifteen days before John Owen was born, on March 6th, 1829, Daniel Marsh was fatally kicked by a horse. Martha was left with nine children to raise.
Martha was a member of the Baptist church for her last forty-five years. She enjoyed good health her entire life other than a back injury resulting from a fall. At 83 she still could knit, sew, and was an extensive reader, "being considerably interested in the current topics of the day." It was said that she was small in stature and very much a lady who "sat on a cushion and sewed a fine seam" (Notes of Betsey Dewick). Martha had a brother, the Reverend Alvin Bailey, who lived in the nearby village of Etna.
Martha was a member of a Scottish Bailey family, including a James Bailey who migrated to Rowley, Massachusetts in the 1600's. James Bailey had a son Nathaniel who married Sara Clark on January 1, 1700. Nathaniel and Sara had a son Samuel born in 1709 who married a woman named Jane. Samuel and Jane had a son, Samuel Jr. born in 1757, who married Lydia Brown and moved to Vermont. Samuel Jr. and Lydia had four children including a Reverend Alvin Bailey and Daniel Bailey who moved to Illinois, a son living in Etna, N.Y., and Martha.
The following is a synopsis of what happened to each of their children. Moses Parker Marsh went to Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y., completing courses in legal studies in 1833. He later was admitted to the New York State bar in 1836. Soon after he married Emeline W., of Manlius. They moved to Carrollton, Illinois where he had an uncle and set up practice. In August 1837 he contracted a fever which took his life on September 6, 1837. He is buried with his parents in the McLean cemetery. Emeline returned to Manlius where she remained a widow the rest of her life. They had one daughter, Moseline Marsh, who died as an infant in March, 1839.
Mary B. Marsh married Chauncey Crittenden and had two or three children, of which Franc, a daughter, was one. She died at the age of 32 in 1845. Daniel B. Marsh, the ancestor of almost everyone in this history, is covered in a subsequent section. Calista Marsh married Pliny Hall and had three children. They lived in the nearby community of Peruville, where she died in 1899. Eliza B. Marsh apparently never married and died in 1846 at 22 years of age.
Lucretia Marsh married Jerome B. Townley in 1843 and they raised two daughters. Lucretia lived until 1883. Her sister Octavia Marsh married Lucius Townley, and lived until 1896. They had two daughters, including Eva who was married to Elbert J. Warfield. When Eva and Elbert's daughter Louise was married to Joseph Twentyman, Helen Potter Marsh was the maid of honor and Gladys Marsh was a ribbon girl. This reflects the contacts that remained between the Marshs that had moved to Scranton, Pennsylvania and their relatives back in the Cortland area. Jane Twentyman Smith, Douglas Warfield, and the Wilcoxs are all still living in the general Cortland area as of May, 1991.
Octavia Marsh kept at least four diaries for the years 1871, 1872, 1877, and 1878, which are in the possession of Betsey DeWick of Arvada, Colorado. The diaries describe the many visits of the other family members, various activities, and the food they ate. During the winter months they made use of sleighs for travel. They men cut hay, oats, cleaned grain ( called thrashing), shucked corn, boiled sap, and took apples to the cider mill. Meat in their diet included turkey, beef, pork, and chicken (oysters for New Year's). Vegetables consisted of corn, squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, cabbage, sweet cucumber pickles, beets, canned tomatoes, turnips, carrots, canned peaches, and grapes. For sweets they made apple, berry, and pumpkin pies, tapioca and rice pudding. When people came to visit they would serve ginger snaps and "warm sugar"... perhaps a cup of maple sugar or sap. Other items included bread, cheese, biscuits, and coffee.
Hiram B. Marsh became a merchant, and later in his life was proprietor of Marsh's Tonic Bitters in Syracuse, N.Y. He married Mary Aldrich. They had four children including Nellie, Dey, Daniel (died as an infant), and Jennie Marsh (also died as an infant). Hiram died in 1872. Nellie never married and died in 1925.
John Owen Marsh joined in the McLean business of his older brother, D.B. Marsh, around 1850 when 21 years old. D.B. Marsh and Co. were dealers in general merchandise. In 1852 he married Miss Julia J. Chambeas (b. 1831). They had two children, Emily (b. 1853), and Daniel E. (b. 1859). The Old Elm Tree states that in 1862 J.O. Marsh "smartly licked" Bill LaMont with a black snake whip. He stayed in business with D.B. Marsh for 22 years until April of 1872 when he moved to Ithaca and formed a partnership with Mr. Edwin M. Hall under the firm name of Marsh & Hall. This company sold dry goods including carpets, groceries, crockery, and clothing, and became one of the leading business places in Ithaca.
In April of 1884 John was chosen president of the Golden Fleece Mining and Milling Company. He traveled on a business trip west through Denver and continued to the Arizona Territory where the mining property was located. After visiting the mine at Cave Creek, he returned to Phoenix and became sick with typhoid fever. After a short illness he died in Phoenix on August 1. John left a wife and two children, Daniel E. and Emily. He was a Unitarian Church member, as well as the Lodge of Free Masons and Protective Police.
John's son, Daniel E. Marsh, graduated from Cornell and worked as a clerk in his father's dry goods store for some years. He moved to Lima, Ohio for some time, and returned to Ithaca in the late 1890's to prosper in the insurance business. Daniel married a woman with the first name of Annie (b. 1861) around 1888. He built a colonial revival home at 110 South Geneva St. in 1899 for $2850. He served as commissioner on the Board of Public Works for seven years and helped found the Reconstruction Home for Infantile Paralysis. The 1900 census shows they had no children by that year, and considering that Annie was 38 years old at the time, they probably had none.
Daniel E. died in 1923 with a personal wealth of $207,000. Today his house is used as a funeral home. Distant relatives, such as Mrs. Jane Twentyman Smith of Vestal, N.Y., remember visiting the Daniel E. Marsh family in this home as a child.
The Daniel B. Marsh Family
Daniel B. Marsh took over the family business in McLean, and lived in McLean almost his entire life. He married Mary Adaline Boynton, daughter of Hon. John Boynton, sometime prior to 1841. Together they had three children, Moses P. (b. 1841), Charles H. (b. 1843), and Daniel (b. 1846) who died as an infant. Mary died of a short but painful sickness on January 9, 1846, at the age of 28. The 1850 census shows the extended family of Daniel B. Marsh. It included Daniel (merchant), his brother John O. (clerk), son Charles, son Moses P, his mother Martha, his sister Octavia with her husband Lucius Townley (teamster), and Bridget Gemlings, born in Ireland (possibly a servant).
Daniel remarried to Sarah J. Fowler sometime around 1851. Sarah was living at the home of her probable parents, Nathaniel and Sarah Fowler of Guilford Connecticut in September of 1850 (census information). By November of 1852 Daniel and Sarah J. had married, and already lost their first child, an infant named Purity. They went on to have a daughter, Mary Adeline (b. 1854), and a son Eugene Fowler (b. 1856).
By 1860 the Townley's had moved out, taking mother Martha Marsh with them. Also living with the family were Harriet F. Cripman (19), a domestic, and Thomas McKee (20), a laborer. D.B. is described as a merchant with $8,000 of real estate and $8,000 of personal property.
By the 1860's D.B. Marsh was an important merchant in the community. A large grist mill, built in 1837 by John Neal, was known as the D.B. Marsh mill. The cheese factory was one of the established industries of McLean, was put into operation in 1864, and continued at least through the 1890's. The McLean business directory of 1868 lists the D.B. Marsh & Co. as dealers in dry goods, groceries, crockery, and hardware, as well as proprietors of the McLean Flouring Mills and McLean Cheese Factory.
D.B. and J.O. Marsh also ran a meat packing plant. They bought hogs, slaughtering 20-25 a day, and packed the pork. The pork was shipped by wagon to Scranton, Pennsylvania every weekend. They also made potash and ran their store. The second story of the slaughtering house was used as a community hall. On Christmas eve of 1865 several posts gave way supporting the upper story of Marsh's Hall and several persons were seriously injured. It also notes that he was supervisor of the town of Locke in 1866, which is 15 miles northwest of McLean.
In the summer of 1862 D.B. Marsh served on the Groton committee to raise volunteers for the New York State part of the Union army. A regiment was soon filled and another followed directly after -- the first mustered early in August and the latter went to the front on the 15th of September. D.B.'s son Moses was already a soldier at this time. In February, 1864 Daniel and Sarah's only daughter, Mary Adeline, died at age 11.
In 1870 Daniel and Sarah were living with son Eugene, who was attending school. Their property had grown from just $3000 of real estate in 1850 to $23,000 in real estate and $13,000 of personal property. In 1872 106 persons attended an oyster supper at Marsh's hall. Sarah J. Marsh died in Trumansburg, N.Y. in 1889 at the age of 69. After his wife died, Daniel B. moved with his son Eugene to Scranton, Pennsylvania around 1891. He lived with Eugene from 1891-1897 when he died at the age of 83. Both Sarah and Daniel B. Marsh are buried in McLean, N.Y..
Daniel's son, Moses P. Marsh, joined Company C. of the 76th Regiment of the New York State volunteers which was formed in Cortland. He served as Second Lieutenant. Moses was not stricken in an engagement, but suffered a sunstroke in July 1862 while in Fredericksburgh, Virginia. He remained there disabled for six weeks before being sent to Washington, D.C. He suffered from a fever and lung congestion for several weeks before his parents were notified. Daniel B. brought his son home and after several more days of illness, Moses died on September 26, 1862. Moses was buried in McLean with military honors at a very large funeral September 28, 1862 (The Old Elm Tree). His blue union cap, sword and diary are in the possession of Mary M. Werner.
Charles H. Marsh married Emma J. Aldrich. Emma died at the young age of 23 in 1869. In 1870 the census lists him as a merchant with $7000 in personal property. Around 1876 a Charles Marsh is remembered as operating the F.H. Maricle store. By 1880 Charles was living with Daniel B. and Sarah. He died in 1889.
Eugene Fowler Marsh
Eugene F. Marsh was the son of Daniel B. Marsh and Sarah J. Fowler. He was born in Mclean, N.Y., fifteen miles east of Ithaca, where the family operated a general store. Eugene worked in this store while a young man. He was educated at the Cortland, N.Y. normal school. Eugene moved to Ithaca by 1880 and worked as a clerk and later a salesman with Marsh & Hall, the company owned by his uncle John O. Marsh.
There is a story about how Eugene met his wife to be, Hattie (real name Harriet). Hattie and her sister Helen went to Elmira college in New York state. One summer the girls were at Cayuga Lake, and a group of girls were planning a party. There was a Gene Marsh whom they invited who had the reputation of being the best dancer anywhere around the country. Gene came, and he and Hattie met and fell in love there.
Eugene married Hattie Finch Potter in 1885. They had three children, Leland (b. 1886), Helen (b. 1888), and Gladys (b. 1891). At his father-in-law's (Leland Potter) suggestion the Marsh family travelled by wagon to Scranton Pennsylvania in 1891. In Scranton Eugene helped Leland Potter in his wholesale business (mine, mill, railroad supply and safety equipment). This business was known as the L.B. Potter Mine Supply Company. When Leland died in 1896, Eugene took over the company.
Just before he died, Leland Potter built a beautiful ten room home and gave it to Hattie, the first of several homes on Columbia Street in the Green Ridge section of Scranton. The children all played music, with Helen playing the piano, Gladys the violin, and Leland the flute and mandolin. Eugene built three homes on the same block for his family on Columbia Street. Eugene lived at 1016, and son Leland across the street at 1015. His daughter Gladys lived next to Leland at 1009. Helen Marsh was next to his house at 1012 Columbia Street. All of the houses had three floors and a basement.
Their homes were heated with anthracite coal. It was burned in the furnace which led to cleaning of soot off the walls and curtains. The furnace fired a boiler for steam radiators in his and the houses he built for his children. His first wife Hattie died of heart failure in 1914.
Eugene eventually became owner and head of the Finch Manufacturing Company in 1914. The company repaired all of the trains on the Delaware/Lackawanna Railroad. It was a foundry and machine shop (see the Finch section at the end of this history for a more thorough discussion of this company.)
Eugene was striking-looking, regal and majestic, and considered one of the best dressed men in Scranton. He lunched every noon at the Scranton Club with coal barons and bankers. He had a chauffeur named Earl who drove his 1929 Packard convertible, 1930 Franklin, and 1928 Cadillac limousine automobiles. Later in life he developed a cataract on one eye, and wore a black glass over it since they did not operate in those days. He also carried a cane. Besides his chauffeur, there was a gardener, cleaning lady and maid to serve his household.
He was a very intelligent and kind person. Eugene never forgot his roots in McLean, N.Y. and traveled there annually to visit relatives in one of his chauffeur driven cars. His daughters Helen and Gladys were friends with their cousins in New York state.
Eugene had a library in his house with a big overstuffed rocking chair where he would rock and sing to his young granddaughter Jean. He loved Johnny Cake, a type of cornbread with sugar in it. When Jean was a teenager she would make this cornbread or corn meal mush and applesauce for him on Sundays, served with milk. His first wife, Hattie Finch Potter, cooked a family recipe for steamed gingerbread pudding, referred to as "vevy" pudding, which is still made for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays in the Nisbet family.
Eugene remarried Anna K. Driesbaugh in 1921. Anna and Eugene often took a winter trip to Florida. Anna was interested in travel, and not much in staying at home with Eugene in Scranton. When Eugene was dying at home in 1932 he asked for Anna to return home but she did not. Eugene had her substantially taken out of his will because of this. His large funeral was held in that same family home in Scranton. He left his house, furnishings and all, to his three children. Leland purchased the home and furnishings from Gladys's and Helen's estate. Leland Marsh and family then moved into Eugene's house that same year.
Leland Fowler Marsh
Leland was born in Trumansburg, N.Y, the son of Eugene F. Marsh and Hattie F. Potter. When he was five years old the family moved to Scranton, PA. He was an athlete at Central High School in Scranton. He starred at shortstop on their baseball team. On the track team in 1904 he set a record in the springboard high jump which stood until the time of his death. He was also a champion tennis player. He served in the 13th Infantry Regiment of the Pennsylvania National Guard during World War I, and was never sent overseas.
Leland married Helen E. Hagen in November, 1912, when they were both twenty-six years old. They had a daughter Mary E. Marsh in 1917. A second child died as a baby in 1921.
He worked for his father Eugene at the Finch Co. starting when he was sixteen or seventeen years old. He served as secretary of the company, and then took over as president when Eugene died in 1932. They would drill the inside of a Navy battleship gun at his foundry (Finch Manufacturing Co.) and got a Navy "E" for excellence for his work for the country during World War II.
The Finch manufactured sewer covers which are still on many streets in Scranton. They repaired all the machinery for the coal mines and breakers ( a machine which breaks up coal). An inventor, William Menzies, worked with Leland to produce a new kind of coal cleaner for the coal breakers, which the Finch Co. made. It was a big success and all the coal companies in northeastern Pennsylvania discarded their old coal cleaners and bought the new Menzies coal cleaners made by the Finch Co.
In 1954 there was a 100th anniversary celebration and dinner at the Scranton Club for the Finch Manufacturing Company. It was a lovely affair with over one hundred persons attending. In addition to the Finch Manufacturing Co., Leland was owner and operator of the L.B. Potter & Co. mining supplies.
(photograph at a later date)
First Row: Gladys Marsh Dunham, Helen Estelle (Hagen) Marsh, Ruth Evans Williams
Second Row: Leland Fowler Marsh, Stephen Kenneth Fellows Jr., Mary Elizabeth Werner, Gerard Williams
Leland had a rebel streak in him. As a school boy he once set off the school fire alarm, and had to apologize to each classroom to keep from being expelled. As head of the L.B. Potter Co. he often wore ruffled workman's clothes and made deliveries in his truck.
Leland entertained the children in his and Helen Marsh's family on Halloween by putting on a bright red devils costume. He and the costumed children would go out and trick or treat for candy.
He became an unrelenting critic of waste in government and the "watchdog of the public treasury." He often made news as a private person or Vice President of the Scranton Home Owners and Taxpayers Association. In 1946 he caused a furor by taking court action preventing the school district from expending funds. He conducted meetings and was on TV and radio.
Leland was ex-commodore of the Scranton Canoe Club, and past president of the Scranton Tennis Club. He was a member of the masonic lodge, keystone consistory, and Irem Temple Shrine.The day after his funeral a memorial for him was held at the Masonic Temple attended by hundreds.
Helen Estelle Hagen
Born in Scranton, Helen's mother and father operated a very good dry goods store in in the city. Helen had a marvelous disposition, and was a very fine cook and baker. She mastered the art of tatting, which she sewed on pillow cases, handkerchiefs and guest towels. She also did beautiful china painting. Helen loved flowers and won prizes for her marigolds. Helen married Leland Marsh at the age of twenty-six in 1912. They had a daughter Mary in 1917, and a second baby girl, Helen, who was born and died in 1921.
Helen had a brother Hoadley who was a character and loved to play tennis. He was tall, dark and handsome and reminded some of Cary Grant. Hoadley had many girlfriends, but was terrifically independent and never married.
He was the head of the Bureau of Recreation of the City of Scranton and he excelled at sports. He attended the University of Pennsylvania and won running and high jumping awards there. He had trophies for swimming, diving, and golf. He taught his niece Mary how to swim, ice skate and ballroom dance the charleston, foxtrot and waltz. He was a member of the national volleyball committee and was in the YMCA hall of fame. He swam, played golf, volleyball, and drove a car up until the time he passed away at 85.
Mary Elizabeth Marsh
Mary was born on Columbia Street in Scranton, Pennsylvania, the daughter of LelandF. Marsh and Helen E. Hagen. She was always interested in the Girl Scouts, and was leader of two Brownie packs. The Marsh, Dunham, and Patterson families always had Fourth of July fireworks together. This was held in the lot between Marsh and Dunham. The kids had sparklers while the men shot off sky rockets, roman candles, etc.
Mary always ardently loved dogs, especially collies. She had her first collie at eight years old, which grew up with her and her cousins. She has had a number of collies (pedigreed and from out of state) all her life. Currently her sixth is named Kirby.
Her dad instructed her in tennis. She played a lot, and became the champion woman and mixed doubles player in Northeastern Pennsylvania in 1939. She spent many years doing volunteer work, including working at the Veterans Hospital in Wilkes-Barre reading and writing letters for the disabled men.
She married Stephen Fellows on January 17, 1941. Her father Leland bought her a house in Clarks Summit as a wedding gift. Mary and Stephen had a son, Stephen Jr., in 1944. After a short period of time they were divorced. She remarried George Werner, a widower from Stroudsburgh (the Poconos) in 1972. He lived there for almost six months endeavoring to sell his house after they were married. They went back and forth weekends. After six months he sold his house and came to live with Mary in Clark's Summit. George lived there three weeks and passed away at the Mercy Hospital, Scranton.
In 1991 Mary received a plaque for volunteer work from the Retired Senior Volunteer Persons. She is the director of the Easter Seal Society of northeast Pennsylvania, and spends considerable time volunteering for them. She has various plaques from them, and is now serving her fourth year as chairman of the Buck-a-Cup Easter Seal Committee, held for two weeks in five counties (a fund raiser). Mary continues to live in Clarks Summit, residing in her current home for more than fifty years.
Stephen Kenneth Fellows Jr.
Stephen was the son of Mary E. Marsh and Stephen Fellows. Stephen was born at Hahnemann Hospital in Scranton (now called the Community Medical Center). At the age of 15 he was sent to Forman School in Litchfield, Connecticut. He graduated and went to Pace University in New York City where he studied business. He is employed at the Merchants Bank, Wilkes-Barre, Pa., and lives in Waverly, Pa., a short distance from his mother in Clarks Summit. Steve married Barbara Ann in 1979. He and his wife have no children. Steve enjoys reading business magazines and does volunteer work with United Cerebral Palsy, where he is director.
Helen Potter Marsh
(1888 - 1929)
Helen was the second child of Eugene Fowler Marsh and Hattie Finch Potter. Helen went to high school and to a finishing school in Norton, Massachusetts. Helen was married to Robert Hare Powell Patterson in June, 1913 in her father's home in Scranton. An orchestra played the wedding march and "O Promise Me" as the ceremony took place in the front living room. Their honeymoon included visits to Portland, Maine; Boston; and the White Mountains.
She was a quiet, happy, industrious person who managed a large house. She was a marvelous cook who loved to make jellies and jams. In the summer she was always in the kitchen preserving her two relishes, mustard pickle and another. Helen had two children with Robert, Jean (b. 1914) and Robert (b. 1921). Helen and husband Robert enjoyed bridge and belonged to a bridge club and would go to bridge luncheons. They also hosted and attended dinner parties. Helen played the piano, and her niece, Mary Marsh, remembers her playing "The Bells of St. Mary's."
Helen became sick with nausea vomiting in 1926 and her doctor thought she had appendicitis, while she really had a peptic ulcer in the stomach. He took out her appendix, and Helen contracted a typhoid bacillus while in the hospital. Her infection went to her liver. A nurse was in the house the entire time while she was ill. After three years she died at home. She is remembered as a lovely sweet lady, warm and friendly.
Robert Hare Powell Patterson
(1881 - 1968)
Robert was born in Saxton, Bedford County, Pennsylvania, the only child of J. Irvin Patterson (1851-1891) and Lucy Shank Patterson (1854-1932). Robert was named after a boarder of the Patterson's in Saxton, a man named Robert Hare Powel. His parents were divorced in 1884. His father Irvin was an alcoholic and was abusive to Lucy. Robert and his mother moved back to Warrior's Mark after the divorce. Lucy remarried George B. Brandon in 1892. The family began married life in Bellefonte, and later lived in Carlisle and Honesdale, Pa. When his step-father George died in Honesdale in 1908, Robert and his mother Lucy moved to Scranton the next year.
Robert was a salesman for the Scranton Electric Co., the Sleepy Eye Flour Exchange and the Finch Manufacturing Co. shortly after he arrived. Later he became a life insurance salesman, working for Travelers Life Insurance Co. in Scranton, Pa. He was quiet and understanding, and proud of his children. Robert married Helen Potter Marsh in 1913. It is said that he was a regular drinker of alcohol.
After Helen died in 1929 he eventually remarried Sally Delmonte for a very short period. During World War II he worked in New York City for Luckenbach steamship company. He retired and lived on Long Island until he moved to a convalescent home between Cheshire and Waterbury, Connecticut where he died in 1968.